A few weeks ago I saw a video or article about the best movies of the last decade. Most of the choices were hipster indie choices, which is fine, but they definitely didn’t capture my favorites of the decade. It gave me the idea to make a video of my list but that felt boring. On a whim I decided to reach out to my fellow youtubers on twitter and see if anyone else wanted to contribute. I asked each person to make a 1-2 minute video about their favorite movie and to my shock the response was massive. I ended up with 14 contributors and it made for a video I really love. I love how different everyone’s picks are and how heartfelt their explanations behind their picks. It’s definitely one of my favorite videos I’ve ever done on my channel so check it out.
My favorite can be no surprise to all of you: 2016’s anime masterpiece Your Name. However, I thought I would give you the rest of my top 10 for here on the blog. I am not going to include a pick from this year because they haven’t had a chance to sit long enough but if I did I would probably pick Avengers: End Game, which is a film I love.
1. Your Name– beautiful in every facet with a layered story about what happens when we understand the humanity of the people around us
2. Wonder Woman– not just a superhero story but a story about why God loves us mortals despite us being pretty awful towards each other. I loved Diana. I loved the message. I loved everything about it
3. Perks of Being a Wallflower– my favorite coming of age movie. I love the message. I related strongly to the group of teens and its not about finding love but believing we deserve love in the first place
4. Inside Out– brilliant metaphysical film that has the guts to teach us all that sadness matters. It’s funny, sweet, with devastating yet effective endings for 3 of its characters- Joy, Riley and Bing Bong
5. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse– I loved the animation. It still blows me away on each watch. I loved the character of Miles. I loved the meta story with the different Spider-man. I loved how funny it is. Perfection!
6. Tangled- Disney’s first romantic comedy and done so well. I love the witty banter between Flynn and Rapunzel. I love how indecisive she is and how he grows and changes. I love Mother Gothel as a true dishy villain and I love the songs.
7. Sing Street– Speaking of songs few films filled me with more musical-enhanced joy than Sing Street. What a lovely film about growing up, making music and finding love. The original songs are super catchy and the relationship between the brothers feels so authentic
8. Paddington 1 and 2– Paddington and Paddington 2 are near perfect family films. They both have humor, huge hearts and characters that are so charming. I wish we could get one each year.
9. Song of the Sea– Song of the Sea is the film I cried the most in the theater. What a touching film about grief and how little Ben can learn to forgive his Mother for dying and his sister for being the cause. The animation and music are stunning. So lovely.
10. Arthur Christmas– For my money the best holiday film of the last decade is Arthur Christmas. Such a sweet, heartfelt movie that captures the innocence and kindness of Christmas. Even the “villain” brother is just trying to run things well. It’s perfect to watch at Christmas
Honorable Mentions- Mary Poppins Returns, Crazy Rich Asians, STEP, Hacksaw Ridge, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Lean on Pete, Boyhood, Frozen, Moana, The Avengers, Paranorman, Mud, The Martian, Hidden Figures, The Lego Movie, Harry Potter 7 pt 2, Toy Story 3, Gravity, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor Ragnarok, XMen Days of Future Past, Interstellar, American Sniper, Pitch Perfect, Brooklyn, 45 Years, Creed, Cinderella, and many more.
What would be your favorites?
12 thoughts on “Best Movies of the Decade”
Sing Street is the only one of your top 10 that I haven’t seen.
Nice. I highly recommend it
This finally motivated me to see “Into the Spider-verse”, and I loved it! Haven’t laughed that much in a long time and I loved the visuals. Thanks for the reminder. Next I want to watch “Your Name” 🙂
Oops, looks like I accidentally replied to a previous post rather than the article itself. Oh well.
That’s ok. It all works out. Thanks for the comments
Yes!! 🤞🤞 I hope you like Your Name
You’ll love ‘Your Name’!
Now that’s a comment I can get behind
I especially loved Inside Out, Spider-Man/Spider-Verse, and Sing Street.
I’d say my list would probably include A Ghost Story, The Rider, and of course Eighth Grade and Lady Bird. It’s been a great decade of movies!
Those were all so good!
Thanks for not being “hipster”. These were all great films that deserve love (especially Song of the Sea and Sing Street). The only one I haven’t seen on your list is “Your Name” I’ll be looking for it! I also really loved Kubo and the two strings and many of your honorable mentions.
The best compliment I could receive! I hate hipsters! You’ll have to let me know what you think of ‘Your Name’