[My twitter friend Travis Fazekas was kind enough to write up a review of the R rated animated film Sausage Party. Please follow him on twitter at @travisfazekas]
Sausage party is one of the most interesting animated movies in recent memory. The movie starts off with a Disney style musical number called the Great Beyond, which is composed by Alan Menken (yes the same Alan Menken who did the music for many Disney classics) and it is just as catchy as his Disney classics.
The animation is delicious and brought to life by co directors Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan who truly give the movie a very bright and colorful look with the supermarkets setup.
The plot to the movie is very good, which we see what happens when food is brought home from the supermarket and what happens next well they discover that it ain’t sunshine and rainbows.
The person who believes this the most is Frank (voiced by Seth Rogen) a hot dog who is in love with Brenda (voiced by Kristen Wiig) a bun. Along the way we meet a various characters such as Sammy Bagel Jr (voiced by Edward Norton with a Woody Allen style voice), Tersea del Taco (voiced by Salma Hayek) who has feelings for Brenda and the villain of the movie Douche (voiced by nick kroll). He is upset at Frank and Brenda for what they did to him.
The pacing is very nice and it truly does not stop with a third act that is very crazy which shows how far Rogen and co writers Evan Goldberg, Kyle Hunter and Ariel Schaffer will go for a laugh.
The voice cast is perfect which also features Rogen usuals such as James Franco, Jonah Hill, Danny Mcbride and others who truly make their characters unique in their own special way. At 89 minute sausage party is one of the funniest movies of the year and is another hilarious effort from Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg that definitely earns its R rating, which is not for children
Overall Grade A-
[If any of you see Sausage Party put your comments below. Thanks again to Travis for the review]
I just posted this week’s episode of Animated News! I would love if you guys took a look at it. I’m still learning but I think it is getting better.
Here’s a run-down of the news
- Zootopia grosses 50 million- only dropping 33% from week 1 and that is really good. The film has made 83 million overseas, 288 foreign total, 431 total.
- Storks Trailer- For some reason all of these comedies I’m liking the teasers better than the full trailer but this looks ok. A little generic but ok.
- Wild Life Trailer- This was a new film I learned about and I must say not that impressed. It’s being distributed by Lionsgate who gave us Norm of the North. Hopefully it will at least be better than that. Robinson Crusoe on an island run by animals- the idea has potential.
- Long Way North Trailer- Another project that was new to me, but this one I’m really excited about. From animator Remi Chaye who worked on Secret of the Kells. It looks beautiful and sounds like a good story. I predict this will be in the running come Oscar season.
- Sausage Party Trailer- I’m not impressed with the humor or animation in this adult comedy. To me it looks very lazy. Won’t even share the video with you guys but if you want to watch it here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VoNgLnjzVg
- April and the Extraordinary World- I’m very excited for this film that comes to my cinema 4/22. It has a cool steampunk look to it. The 2D animation looks great and I think the story sounds interesting.
- Little Prince Gets Dumped- In a bizarre action Paramount Animation has dumped the US release of The Little Prince a week before it was to premiere. Even though I had issues with the film, it certainly deserves to be seen by American audiences. I can’t fathom why they did this?
- Power Puff Girls- The new reboot of Power Puff girls debuted at SXSW film festival to great reviews. The intro and other clips I’ve seen look promising.
What in this news interests you? What in all those independent trailers looks the best to you? Why do you think Paramount dumped Little Prince? Are you a Power Puff Girls fan? If so, what do you think of this reboot?
Put in the comments section here or on the video and let’s talk! 🙂 And if you like my video please give it a thumbs up!