Yesterday was the 50th Super Bowl and honestly the game did nothing for me. What was fun was all the new trailers we got. The ads were pretty lame but the movie trailers were very cool. I thought I would very quickly give you my thoughts on them.
(I won’t mention Deadpool or 10 Cloverfield as I have no interest in either of those films).
11. God’s of Egypt- There is something 90’s Mummy about this film but it really looks terrible and this trailer did nothing to increase my enthusiasm. I think it will be this year’s Jupiter Ascending. The white-washing of Egypt does bother me a little bit.
10. Alice Through the Looking Glass- As someone who did not like the first one this trailer didn’t do much for me. Some of the visuals look kind of cool but aside from hearing Alan Rickman again there isn’t much to appeal to me in the trailer. It’s just not my Wonderland.
9. Secret Life of Pets- When this movie is focusing outside of Kevin Hart bunny I feel better about it and this trailer did. But I still have that rabbit in my head with that annoying Kevin Hart voice…
8. Independence Day 2: Resurgence- I’m not the biggest fan of the original. I like it ok but nothing Roland Emerich has done since then has impressed me and this looked like another CGI blandfest. The first one was fun!
7. Batman v Superman Turkish Airlines- This was a fake ad for Turkish Airlines advertising Gotham and Metropolis. Some might find it cute. I found it groan inducing and dumb. Something is just off in the marketing of this film.
6. Jason Bourne- This was a big surprise! I didn’t expect a trailer for it but it looks awesome. Hopefully the shaky cam is reduced from 2 and 3 but great to have Matt Damon back.
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turltes 2- As far as big reveals this might be number 1. Krang is in the new turtle movie. We had suspected something but that was so cool. It looks like they are making some neat improvements to the original films, even in the look of the turtles. If it didn’t have Michael By plastered on the trailer I’d like it even more.
4. Captain America: Civil War- This trailer was pretty awesome. We saw the Avengers divided up and Bucky and Cap fighting Tony and Black Widow. I loved that glove we see and it looks super entertaining!
3. Eddie the Eagle- The more I see from this film the more excited I get. It looks like the new Cool Runnings. I love the Olympics and I love inspirational stories so sign me up. It looks like something that is right up my alley.
2. Xmen Apocalypse- This looks amazing!! Apocalypse looks menacing and I am LOVING the female Xmen presence in this movie. Mystique, Jean Gray, Psylocke look awesome. I think everyone is sleeping on this movie and it is going to be great
1. Jungle Book- The 2 minute Jungle Book trailer blew me away. It’s the first time I’ve felt that way about this movie. It looks like a great merging of the book and animated film. It’s going to be scary, funny, exciting and everything and the visuals look so great! I’m sold!
What was your favorite and least favorite? Put in the comment section.
18 thoughts on “Super Bowl Trailers”
I guess regarding the Gods of Egypt (a film which I have no intention of seeing) white-washing controversy for me is would the ethnicity of the gods that they worshipped be their color/ethnicity as well? I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Greek people portray Greek gods in films either.
Sadly, the Jungle Book trailer decreased my excitement for the film mainly because I thought the animation for the characters when meshed with the voices just seemed so fake like you could tell it was fake. And some of the voices just didn’t seem to match. I’m not a fan of Idris Elba’s Shere Khan voice; I don’t think Sir Ben Kingsley’s fits his character design.
I don’t really have a problem with Kaa and the voice as well as King Louie and his voice. And I could learn to tolerate Bill Murray’s Baloo.
But who knows? Maybe I’ll like this movie when I eventually see it. Nevertheless, I’m still awaiting the Jungle Book: Origins film next year.
You make a good point about Gods of Egypt. I just wish they had used the correct ethnicity of actors but it is true they do that with European actors all the time with Americans playing Italians and things like that. I guess different races is a little more sensitive.
It’s interesting AJ had the same reaction to the Jungle Book trailer. It blew me away. I loved it. I totally bought the voices for the characters.
I know I’ve asked you this before, but I forget your answer. Are you interested in the Jungle Book: Origins mo-cap film coming out next year w/Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Christian Bale?
Yep. I’m definitely interested in it especially since I just read the novel in December. I love the Disney movie but I loved the book too so I’m excited to see things that are more true to the book. Plus, the cast of both versions are pretty great. It will be interesting to compare the two kind of like say with Ants and Bug’s Life.
Yeah, the WB one is supposed to quite darker and grittier. And also, no King Louie, lol!
That’s strange because he’s a big character in the book.
King Louie isn’t in the book; he was created for the animated Disney film.
There were monkeys in the book, but I don’t think they had a leader.
I guess you are right
I must be thinking of someone else then from the book who abducts Mowgli and is similar
From what I understand, the bandar-log (the monkey people) kidnap Mowgli in a similar manner, but they don’t really have a definitive leader.
Remember King Louie is an orangutan and there are no orangutans in India, so Rudyard Kipling would not have put him in the book.
I can’t say I’m all that interested in “Gods of Egypt”, “Secret Life of Pets” or “Independence Day 2”, so the trailers did nothing to excite me. The new “Turtles” trailer was pretty fun, but at the same time I’m keeping my expectations low. I might actually end up seeing “Eddie the Eagle”, it looks promising! As usual, the superhero movies have the best marketing: the fake ads for “Batman v Superman” were a clever way of giving us a taste of the two heroes’ respective cities, Metropolis, is bright, clean, colorful, with tall glass spires, and Gotham is boxy, grungy, gothic, and tough looking stone towers. Eisenberg’s portrayal of Lex Luthor was more to my liking, and Ben Affleck is just like Bruce Wane/Batman from the animated series! Really not seeing where this negativity is coming from. “X-Men: Apocalypse” looks awesome and “Civil War” I’m looking forward to but at the same time trying not to ride the hype in case this one lets me down by siding with Iron Man (#TeamCap).
Apart from the usual DC or Marvel crop, it’s “The Jungle Book” that’s grabbed my attention the most and hit me in the nostalgia spot! The entirely CGI landscape and animals are starting to look more convincing, and the action looks awesome. Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Christopher Walken and even Bill Murray all suited their characters! I wasn’t expecting to like Bill as Baloo, but he grew on me! I’m still not sold on Scarlett Johansson as Kaa, mainly because her voice sounds so… wooden. Like there wasn’t as much effort as the other actors. But the moment “Bare Necessities” played I was ready to see this movie! This could be to me what last year’s “Cinderella” was to you; a well directed, heartfelt adaptation of a childhood favourite. 🙂
Yay! Another person who liked Jungle Book trailer. I thought it was awesome too
Do you think that if The Jungle Book is a box office and critical success (above even Cinderella) this will give Disney the confidence to make a live action/CGI remake of The Lion King? Now, I’m not at all saying I that WANT The Lion King remade in the same style as The Jungle Book (sine there are plenty of savannahs and jungles in Africa), but do you think there’s a chance?
Yes I can see that happening.
United we stand! Divided we Fall!!!! Though all in all, most of the trailers didn’t do anything for me. I am kind of interested in Independence Day 2, but mostly because the first trailer ruthlessly tapped into my nostalgia. And the more I see of Jungle Book, the more it ends up in uncanny valley territory. As good as the CGI looks, there is something not quite right with the animation of the animals.
Sorry I am such a grumpy cat.
That’s the first time I think I’ve heard you admit to nostalgia. I hope Independence day 2 will be good!
Hey, I am nostalgic for a lot of things…just usually very different ones as other people.